I recently saw these activity mats on amazon.com -they gave me the idea to make my own activity mats for dance. I printed them out and laminated mine so we could use them often and even take them outside.
We turned on some music and I lay the laminated mats on the floor. Yummy and I stepped from one to the next, exploring these different qualities of movement.
- Try using different body parts (legs, arms, torso, head, shoulders, fingers, spine, etc.)
- Do the movements really slow or really fast
- Try out different levels: standing tall, crouching low, laying on the floor, etc.
- Repeat movements to make a pattern
- Take the movements and travel! (walk backwards while punching bread, skip while catching a butterfly, etc)
- Movement: Non-Locomotor Movements- twist, bend, stretch, push, pull, spin, turn, sway, poke, kick, lift, slash, punch, flick, float, glide, press, wring, shake, wiggle, etc