It is a snowy day, and despite not looking forward to another winter, I am relishing the beauty of it. My family is arriving this afternoon for a late Thanksgiving celebration (we're Canadian), but it feels more like Christmas at this point! In the meantime, what better way to spend a snowy day then to curl up with a good book, or perhaps, a Book Bin??
A while ago Yummy requested a "Book Bin" for her Quiet Times
; I asked for ideas on my Facebook
page -thank you for your input! I was at a complete loss of what to put in a book bin, but after a recent trip to the library I realized what Yummy was really wanting -just books, plain and simple! Yummy borrowed an enormous stack of books, then decided to take them all into her room for Quiet Time. I am pretty sure it was the quietest Quiet Time in the history of Quiet Times; I left her poring over a Berenstein Bears book and didn't hear a peep on her monitor for at least 45 minutes.
I am planning on making sure Yummy has plenty of interesting books for her Quiet Times now. I have two new bins in the works: a new horse bin (as requested by Yummy), and a butterfly bin (she also asked for an x-ray bin, but I'm not sure I can pull that off. Ideas???). I am going to add both horse and butterfly books in each bin to help feed her hunger for literacy and build on the themes in each bin.
All that said, I still wanted to make that Book Bin! I finally managed to pull a few things together -it looks a little slimmer than most of her Quiet Bins, but I think it will keep her interested.
What's in the bin?
- Two little blank paper books (they measure 4x5", the cover is made from an old file folder and the paper inside is colourful) to fill with stickers and writing/drawings
- a pencil case filled with letter stickers
- another pencil case filled with pencil crayons, crayons, two pencils, and a fun eraser
- a little sticker scene I drew for her to decorate and use for making up stories
- a few tiny-sized books I found at Value Village a while ago
- And a last minute addition: a picture dictionary and an encyclopedia I snagged at the used bookstore. Yummy loves to look through dictionaries and encyclopaedias lately, and these two feature such beautiful pictures!
I am so excited to give her this bin for today's Quiet Time!
THIS POST IS LINKED UP TO THESE LINK PARTIES;
CLICK THROUGH FOR MORE GREAT POSTS!